Monday, December 16, 2013

I was thinking about Ana's definition of DD that she posted the other day:
A committed relationship in which one person guides, supports, and gives correction to another.

If we're talking about non-physical correction, than that looks a lot like my relationship with C.  "Discipline," yes-- "punishment" or "spanking," no.  C's pretty clearly in charge here-- she knows what's best for me, she cares about me.  She's not afraid to tell me when I'm in the wrong.  I also get a lot from her, too, because we text throughout the day and I'm not lonely.  We have fun when we're together and even in texting.  :) And I know if I really need to get something done that day, I can tell C (send her a list, even) and she'll check on me throughout the day if she can and ask if I'm getting things done.  I do that at least once a week.  Last week, I had a rough day and didn't get much cleaning done like I'd originally planned. 
C: can you find one small area to clean?
So, I did that, and of course she asked me to do something else afterward.  It's nice to be able to ask for help and get it.

I guess I was thinking about this because I've been working with the idea of submission a lot.  I really have to work to get in the right mindset so that I'm not being mean to her or not taking her advice.  Last weekend was a good example of that-- I was working on C's Christmas present Saturday night and praying for her-- that didn't help much, so then I wrote the email to try to feel better, and then finally Sunday wrote the really nice one.  That worked.  But, to be able to accept correction, I have to work hard to not get defensive and argumentative (let's just say I LOVE arguing).

Last night I said "we'll have to talk about this later because I'm too emotional right now and don't want to say something stupid or just react instead of thinking things through."  We were talking about church and my lack of attendance Sunday mornings, and I got a bit of a lecture (HOW can tone carry over so clearly in text?  She was definitely not happy with me).  She said it makes her sad when I don't go...UGH.  I started writing an email this morning, but just now said I didn't think I wanted to keep talking about it...because she will tell me I'm wrong, I'll feel like crap...so can we just not play through that cycle again?  She's at work, so hasn't responded yet.  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment